Currently based in Beaufort, South Carolina- a magical place filled with blues and greens of the salt marsh and meanderings of coastal rivers- I am on hiatus. As life evens itself out we shall see what the continued writing of lyrics, songs, and music as a “choice-less choice” brings.
Shelley Barratt – Singer-Songwriter, Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals, Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar, Mandolin, Ukulele, Keys, Percussion, and other odd instrumentation
WRITING with part instinct and part intuition, Shelley’s songs draw comparisons from Joni Mitchell to Madonna, Loreena McKennitt to Dan Fogelberg, The Eagles to Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow to Peter Gabriel. “Good groove. Cool imagery, theme,” –Billboard; “The powerful combination musically and lyrically creates a sound that is truly unique and refreshing. Barratt’s music provides a breath of fresh air,” –GoGirls Music; “Shelley’s music has merit overall but what makes her distinct is her songwriting… catchy rock-pop-folk tunes… blissful… rhythmic… curious,” –IMG Music; “I am enjoying the CD and hope to see more of your work on the market soon. All the best,” –Terry Brooks, Author; “You sing with your heart. Nothing under the heavens can stop that,” –Henderson Jones, Filmmaker.
Shelley Barratt is an artist, writer, singer, and songwriter whose unique and melodic songs have had minor acclaim. Shelley has performed at festivals, for minor league sports and state fairs, and at venues from Nashville to San Jose. She has hosted acoustic and women’s showcases, and created music for modern dance, special occasions and visual media. Shelley’s music has piqued the interest of dancers, authors and visionaries, and she has collaborated with recording artists signed to indie and major record labels. A music fan herself as well as a “Jill of All Trades” with a penchant for high-tech and creative business ventures, Shelley is always on the lookout for interesting projects.
- Water from Heaven Collection Album, Shelley Barratt Music 2013 (includes the following singles, post-Origin of Flight, plus 5 never-released songs not accessible via digital download)
- Sappy Baseball Movies Single, Shelley Barratt Music 2013
- Met Single, Shelley Barratt Music 2012
- Lay My Body Down Single, Shelley Barratt Music 2011
- The Traveler Single, Shelley Barratt Music 2011
- Wandering Sun Single, Shelley Barratt Music 2011
- Balance Single, Shelley’s project with DJ Anthony Ash, Blue House Red Door 2011
- Underground Single, Shelley’s band, 5 Revolving Doors 2010
- Ballast a Ship Single, Shelley’s band, 5 Revolving Doors 2009
- Origin of Flight Album, Shelley Barratt 2004
- Seed Time Album, Sub Culture (Shelley’s “Old” Band) 1990
- “Underground” (5 Revolving Doors) song voted Top 5 in USA Today’s second round of Gulf oil tragedy song contest, 2010
- “Ballast a Ship” (5 Revolving Doors) Music video was released, 2009
- “Ballast a Ship” (5 Revolving Doors) received “Runner Up” in the December round of the Song of the Year song and lyric competition, 2009
- Shelley Barratt (5 Revolving Doors) featured as the GoGirls Elite Artist of the Week August 17-21, 2009
- “Everything I Need” (Bob Reynolds, Shelley Barratt) received “Honorable Mention” for the 16th Annual Billboard World Songwriting Contest, 2009
- “Goodbye” (Muriel Sweetsong) featured in movie theatres across the country as part of February Cinemasounds, 2009
- Nominated in the the First Annual Fame Games Effigy Awards, 2008
- Shelley’s album, Origin of Flight, was signed to Rescue Records for music licensing, 2008
- The Shelley Barratt Band performed at Hyperactive Music Festival 3, at One Up in Albuquerque, 2008
- “Muriel Sweetsong” was chosen as a ‘Reviewers Pick’ in the ongoing Fame Games, 2008
- The Shelley Barratt Band performed a 3-hour set for Opening Day at EXPO New Mexico in Albuquerque, 2007
- Shelley performed at the Hyperactive Music Festival 2 in Albuquerque, 2007
- Shelley performed for the GoGirls Music Showcase at Folk Alliance in Memphis, 2007
- “5 Revolving Doors” received “Honorable Mention” for the 13th Annual Billboard World Songwriting Contest, 2005
I have had the pleasure of working with all kinds of amazing musicians over the years.